Thanks to the hard work and efforts of the Business & Professionals Platform Committee, which has been chaired by Omar Hashwi, the Caucus today made eight recommendations to the CADEM Platform Committee to update and amend the California Democratic Party Platform to help small businesses:
- CADEM pledges to support increased investment in small business and entrepreneurship infrastructure such as mentorship, after-school care, and workforce development, particularly for women, people of color, and those with limited access to entrepreneurship experience.
- CADEM pledges to promote and expand access to underserved groups of color who don’t have access to capital through Community Development Financial Institutions and micro-loan programs.
- CADEM pledges to promote and guarantee low-interest small business loans to provide the seed capital to launch and expand job-creating small businesses and provide for the growth of already successful businesses.
- CADEM pledges to support an Equitable Preparedness Strategy and Response for future pandemics or crises.
- CADEM pledges to support a 58-county strategy as we move forward in rebuilding after the pandemic and in our preparations for the future, including support for rural business, which is a vital component to help ensure equitable resources for all of our citizens.
- CADEM pledges to support policies that protect businesses from organized retail crime and vandalism.
- CADEM pledges to support efforts to protect small and medium sized businesses from cyber attacks.
- CADEM pledges to support the separation of retail and investment banking to free capital for loans to businesses and individuals.
At the hearing several Caucus officers spoke in support of these recommendations: Chair Bendavid was the very first to speak! Other officers testifying included Treasurer Judith Walters, Secretary Sharky Laguana, and Parliamentarian Andrew Lachman. Our lead for the Platform Committee Omar Hashwi spoke, as did several other caucus members, including State Assembly candidate Bilal Mahmood. Thank you everyone for all your hard work, and taking the time on a weekend to support small businesses, workers, and families in California.